The Platforms Team, and the idea of content platform development, is new to Voce so expect to see more here that brings clarity to this new part of the family.
This month starts my 14th year in Web development (shocking to think about). In that time there have been some seriously hard lessons about process and structure that I’ve learned.
Those lessons have led to a team that executes projects from nothing more than a concept through to the post-launch management of those projects.
In order to offer a complete solution along with well-advised recommendations, we must be closely involved in each step of the process. This process breaks down into five large chunks:
- Project Strategy – Think content structures, functional specs, wireframes and design briefs.
- Interface Design – Think site designs. Provided based on project strategy and brand standards.
- Front-end Development – Think HTML, CSS, browser compatibility and platform compatibility (mobile devices vs. a desktop computer).
- Custom Application Development – Think custom programming for specific tasks as well as content platforms such as WordPress.
- Deployment and Support – Think taking your new site and making it live to your audience. Also, the coordination, planning and optimization behind such a launch.
The Platforms Team is made up of individuals representing each of these main buckets and it’s absolutely imperative that we make this expertise available to every project.
The team brings an outside perspective that’s as varied as the projects we develop.
As a result, the gaps that can exist in a development life cycle are minimized, and subsequently, resources and timelines are also minimized.
In the coming weeks, members of the Platforms Team will be providing deep insights into these areas and the approach to each.
Nick Gernert leads the Platform Services team that’s part of Voce Connect and oversees all web development efforts as well as making sure all those efforts are strategically sound. He contributes to the cnp_studios blog and is on Twitter as @NickGernert.